[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles • View topic - 2012-13 Nesting Season

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles

NESTI (Norfolk Eagle Support Team International)
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012-13 Nesting Season
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 pm 

Live Eagle Cam viewers are well aware by now Norfolk City Council applied for a permit to remove the nest from NBG after it was declared a hazard.
I think eagles don't really care about officials and the decisions they make so I'm placing this link...and waiting for the eagle's decision on a 2013 nesting season. We may not have the cam to observe it and I personally hope the location of any new nest nearby isn't shared publicly, but my heart is betting on eagles to win this one.

eta: Let ORF take care of it's responsibility to keep runways clear

Aug. 21, 2012 - Regular 08/21/12 Session - Norfolk City Council

For the animals shall not be measured by man ~ They are not our brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth ~ Henry Beston

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:41 pm 

annsva wrote:
I personally hope the location of any new nest nearby isn't shared publicly

You can guarantee you won't hear anything from me and I encourage everyone locally (either as a photographer or just a casual observer) to do the same NOT because we feel we own the Eagles or that we're trying to keep fans out of the loop but for fear the USDA will catch wind of any activity by someone talking about what they saw or where they're rebuilding their nest. The last thing I would want to happen is I post a photo of nest activity and the USDA finds out where the tree is and they go there and start hazing the Eagles....I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if that happened. Let them work for it because they have no idea where they like to hang out (other than the airport :roll: ) and where they could possibly build another nest.

I fear someone will do this though trying to please everyone once the activity picks up...for them I hope they don't. It kind of sucks being out of the loop on things that happen at NBG...wonder how it would feel to be totally ignored. :lol: :mrgreen:

Have a nice day. :D

Oh yeah...good post Mom. ;) ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:58 pm 

I agree.... but it will be hard to not get some kind of updates on them..........

on the way and 2 Bonus kids :)
Mom to Jager - German Shepherd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:03 pm 

As I stated on someone elses thread on facebook--I will not be public about eagles in or around the airport. I may indulge that a eagle has been seen in Norfolk today but that is about as far as it will go "publicly". Those that know will know and those that don't--I'm truely sorry :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:51 pm 

Though it will hurt greatly to not know that the eagles are safe and going on with their lives, I agree that no announcements should be made. It would be even more painful to know that disclosure caused injury to the male and his mate.

"Moscow Rules".

:cry:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:22 pm 

mmm, secret nest society. I'm in.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
Shakespeare

Last edited by _BG on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:19 pm 

All of this makes me very sad....I agree with you guys.....Even though I will not get to see them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:10 am 

This news is as difficult to accept as losing Mama Eagle was. Hard to believe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:55 pm 
Photographer

OK so just so we are ALL on the same page, right now it's ok to share a pic but when the nest comes down it's not? OR right now we don't share anything (which is what I thought). I'd like to see that we are all on the same thought process.

Would it be OK to say we saw an eagle today?? :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:03 pm 

Shelly wrote:
OK so just so we are ALL on the same page, right now it's ok to share a pic but when the nest comes down it's not? OR right now we don't share anything (which is what I thought). I'd like to see that we are all on the same thought process.

Would it be OK to say we saw an eagle today?? :D

Obviously someone had an issue with me posting a crappy cell phone pic of a Pine tree, my lens and people replying to the FB topic ASSUMING I was at NBG photographing Eagles because "the teach" called me about it later on. :roll: :lol:

I was under the impression nothing from us because of them waiting for the Eagle activity to pick up...if we go and start sharing photo's of them around the nest area it "may" cause them to come out and investigate the activity or speed up the process.

I will however continue to post photo's of Eagles but nothing will be said about what, when, where, who etc......keep everyone guessing is what we need to do I think..........it would be nice to hear from other photog's about this...............

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:55 pm 

Please do not let us know where the eagles will be building a new nest.I'm afraid that if they find out and continue to use paint balls (if that is what its going to be)that one of our beloved eagles will either get hurt or killed.I just couldn't go with that.I'd rather have a secret nest then give them the chance to find the nest and blow them out of a tree.I agree with all of you.I have followed these eagles for years and god forbide anything would happen.I have enjoyed all your photos and believe me if I could have purchased any I would off.I know you will keep the secret of where the eagles are.Thank you so kindley.I will always remain supportive of the eagles no matter what

Hugs winddancer 57 aka Mary Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:15 pm 

We are still trying to work out what we as photographers are going to do and not do but that is my main concern is if I post a photo and say where it was taken and they catch wind of it and go harrass the Eagles because of it..I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

I sent out a mass E-mail to all the photog's that go there on a regular basis and told them what I will and will not be doing in the future...I hope to hear back from all of them but i doubt I will. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:06 pm 

I so agree with the photog stance here. IF Mom had NOT been identified this would not be an issue actually. My head of course tells me NBG should just NEVER identify another eagle again. Then they can not be sued when one is hit by a plane. But that is hindsight to some degree. Around here we have a lot of eagles migrate through in winter and the locals do know of active nests. We do NOT let folks know now that eagles are no longer endangered more to keep the nesting area quiet and private. Since the eagle cams everyone wants to watch a live nest if they can find one so its not told. I hope you as Photogs are able to continue to enjoy the bald Eagles nesting in your area. I don't want to know where any of them are. I want them to live in peace where they have chosen to build their nests.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:48 pm 

I just can't believer that it's come to this..............It's so sad that the symbol of our country must go "into hiding" to survive. What has the world come to?............... :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:27 am 

It certainly is a sad state of affairs when our national symbol has to be kept from being viewed where he has lived all these years.Its so hard for me to believe that this nest will be destroy for all the wrong reason. As far as I can seeno reason on this earth to take away habitat from any wildlife,they have the right to be here too.

I'm so happy and sad at the same time that our photographers are taking this stance.I support whatever they or anyone else does to keep our eagles safe.

Isn't it something that I say "our" eagles being that I'm a resident of Florida.Like everyone else except the powers that be am totally in love with this eagle family,past,present and future.

Thank you again,hope I didn't stray too far off subject.