[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles • View topic - 2012-13 Nesting Season

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles

NESTI (Norfolk Eagle Support Team International)
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:58 am 

Both the male and #3 from last year are still here...they actually never left. A few months ago a different female entered the picture and drove off #3 but #3 returned and seems to be the female in this territory. Both have been actively working on a new nest since the original one in the 2011 tree was torn down back in October. These Eagles are slow and methodical when it comes to building a nest and work on it early in the morning or late in the afternoon but work is being done making a new one in the 2011 tree.

That being said....it's not going to stay there for very long according to the USDA. Once it becomes substantial it will be removed yet again. The USDA is going to start their harrassment tactics soon to drive the Eagles out of the area when they see them or any Eagle within a 1 mile radius around the airport.

A paintball gun may be used but not to hit them directly...mainly trying to hit things around them to scare them off. It's going to be difficult scaring an Eagle perched 80'-90' up in a tree that is accustomed to seeing humans below them (I use the word them because the female is very tolerant of people just as the male is).

What can you do to help? Not sure anything can be done at this point other than talking about it and making people aware of the situation. Locally all we can do is observe and make sure nothing is hurt....the permit clearly states nothing can be harmed or killed during this process.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 am 

Thank you for making this clear.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:55 am 

Thanks for the update, Duane. This is terrible. One mile? That's a pretty large area. Hopefully USDA will find something else to waste their time on!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:31 pm 

The sad reality here is that we have an eagle pair who are somewhat to VERY human tolerant; who have an established territory with lovely, tall trees perfect for eagle nests; that is RIGHT by a very nice body of water with LOTS of yummy fish; who have no clue what an airport or an airplane is and who therefore couldn't give a flipping feather about them. Nothing in that description would suggest a reason WHY they should leave that area or how humans trying to "scare" them into leaving would work.

Personally, I would love to show them a half-started nest within their territory on private property of someone who would NOT let the government interfere and invite them to move on in. But that is based on my human thinking, not how wild eagles think. They see my description above and find no reason to move on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:20 pm 

I too am hoping they end up with a nest in the area on private property. Really would like to see the chicks from these two. I know DT will make a great Mom.

on the way and 2 Bonus kids :)
Mom to Jager - German Shepherd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:09 pm 

There was a mention on local news last night of the eagles having returned to nbg. I started to think of how it has been home to the male eagle most of his life.
It's possible he will never leave. He doesn't understand that people want him gone. This is his home. He has lived in and protected this area always.
Now, I know he can't reason but he does have strong instincts and they do not include being pushed around by man with silly paintball guns. :roll:
Removing the nest REALLY discouraged him. Oh wait. He's right back to work on it. :o
Should be an interesting season after all.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
Shakespeare

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:29 pm 

The local news stations are a joke and have no clue. He was back to working on 2 nests a few days after they removed the one in the 2011 tree. They continue to work on both of them and there are just as many Eagles in and around the area as there's always been in years past. The USDA is a joke....the guy observing them is obvlious to what's going on. They did nothing to discourage them from rebuilding in any of the three trees used in years past and the Eagles never leave the area...they are permanent fixtures around NBG and will continue to do so.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Someone came into his house and removed the furniture from the nursery. That's not going to make him abandon his house. He's going to put new furniture in the nursery. Duh!

Last year on EagleCam, you could see that DT had a ridge running down the top of her beak. Have any photogs gotten pics that can tell if she's still got the ridge?

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms. ~George Eliot

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. ~Anatole France

http://www.eaglesandnature.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:04 pm 

Never pair attention to the ridge on her beak....I mainly paid attention to how she acted and carried herself (cringe) around the male.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:26 pm 

The nests the eagles were rebuilding in the original nest tree and last year's nest tree were removed this morning.

For the animals shall not be measured by man ~ They are not our brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth ~ Henry Beston

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:07 pm 

There was a pole saw left in the original nest tree so I'm guessing some selective trimming was done to both nest trees to prevent them from rebuilding in them...I could not see any modifications but I haven't looked closely at the pics just yet. No baloons or other devices were placed in the trees and no "authorities" were present when I was there......

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:14 pm 

This is just nauseating to me. Thank you, Duane, for the update... so sad

Lenore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:24 pm 

I just want to slap somebody.... :evil:

Let's just hope and pray dad gets the message and finds more friendly territory before it's too late in the season..

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
Shakespeare

Last edited by _BG on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:04 pm 

After this mornings actions by the USDA.

2011 nest tree....

Original nest tree...the branches brought back to this tree was kind of half hearted by the Eagles but there were sticks in the crotch where they originally build in years past.

Reality folks....get used to this..it's only going to get worse before it gets better for the Eagles...hopefully they will get the message and move to a safer place...I have my doubts though. :|

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:32 pm 

I have nothing to say that can be said in polite company.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next