[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles • View topic - 2012-13 Nesting Season

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles

NESTI (Norfolk Eagle Support Team International)
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 am 

Aug. 21, 2012 - Regular 08/21/12 Session - Norfolk City Council
Aug. 28, 2012 - Norfolk City Council-Informal Session discussion on nest removal
Oct. 4, 2012 - Nest Removal
Dec. 20, 2012 - The nests the eagles were rebuilding in the original nest tree and last year's nest tree were removed this morning.

For the animals shall not be measured by man ~ They are not our brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth ~ Henry Beston

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 am 

Thanks for the links Ann.

I attended last nights meeting and watched Sunday's informal session. Politics!! This is NOT about the cam as I understand it, as much as one council member tries to convey it is. This should be about not interfering with nature; 'we' have destroyed wildlife habitat for many years that cannot be recovered. 'We' have caused 'urban wildlife', specifically the urban eagle.

I understand the public safety issue, I think the council is hiding behind that scare tactic as much as all agencies involved have.

It appears that the Norfolk City council won't consider the possibility that the data in various reports and databases may be skewed, that the data which various federal agencies have used to make their recommendations may be skewed. Come on Norfolk City council. Stop passing the buck, take a stand, vote for a continuance and review factual data before making a decision. People in the position of making this decision obviously have many questions, get answers before making that decision! Vote for a years continuance, using that time to get facts?

Why won't the City of Norfolk take this opportunity to be a role model for conservation?

Beverly

Last edited by Chesapeake on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:42 am 

Well said, Bev.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:21 pm 

Amen!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:53 pm 

For me personally, I respect the photographers decision.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:32 pm 

The majority of the photographers have come to an agreement. We will continue to share an Eagle photo here and there but nothing will be said about who, what, when, where and why. An Eagle picture COULD be one of the Norfolk adults or it COULD just a random Eagle we come across.....people will come to their own conclusions and I hope everyone paid attention to the subtle details in both of the Norfolk adults. ;)

I want to stress to everyone this is not being done because we're being selfish....we want to keep others in the dark about certain things. :)

I need to get a portrait lens...I have a feeling I will be photographing more humans than Eagles this year. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:43 pm 

If there's a dam in the background we'll assume it's not a Norfolk eagle.

I'll be looking for your portraits.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:21 pm 

I understand and agree with the photographers stance on future eagle photographs. I want to express my sincere appreciation for all the photographs that have been shared in past years. They are exceptional photos taken by some amazing photographers!!! And I am proud to know quite of few of them.

I hope and pray that our eagles will remain safe and that their nest area will remain secret and safe from anyone who wants to destroy it.

Love and appreciation to all.

Violet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:06 pm 

Chesapeake wrote:
Thanks for the links Ann.

I attended last nights meeting and watched Sunday's informal session. Politics!! This is NOT about the cam as I understand it, as much as one council member tries to convey it is. This should be about not interfering with nature; 'we' have destroyed wildlife habitat for many years that cannot be recovered. 'We' have caused 'urban wildlife', specifically the urban eagle.

I understand the public safety issue, I think the council is hiding behind that scare tactic as much as all agencies involved have.

It appears that the Norfolk City council won't consider the possibility that the data in various reports and databases may be skewed, that the data which various federal agencies have used to make their recommendations may be skewed. Come on Norfolk City council. Stop passing the buck, take a stand, vote for a continuance and review factual data before making a decision. People in the position of making this decision obviously have many questions, get answers before making that decision! Vote for a years continuance, using that time to get facts?

Why won't the City of Norfolk take this opportunity to be a role model for conservation?

Beverly

As we all know, the American Bald Eagle was an endangered species for a number of years, mainly due to DDT (loss of territory also played a role). On June 28, 2007, the Interior Department took the American Bald Eagle off the Federal List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants.

What's the use of saving a species if it doesn't have a place to live? I haven't seen the data that influenced the decision to remove the nest. I understand that the findings are being questioned, so I think the continuance for a year is an excellent compromise.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:59 pm 

click link :arrow: Eagle Fans Create Memorial to Save Nests

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:50 pm 

The nest tree has been decorated since the female was killed. NBG added potted Mums for the cameras and they were gone in the morning.
The first gathering was the Indian Drummers.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=4964

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 pm 

Aw. I saw the pots of mums around the tree as a kind gesture from NBG, beautifying the site further for all who gathered there on Saturday. The flowers were not meant to be a permanent planting. Mums would have great difficulty growing under a thirsty loblolly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:01 pm 

I agree the whole thing is sad. Would love to see a normal nesting season this year but not going to happen.

I hope the photogs can keep the eagles' nest area a secret if they chose to build close by. I would not wan to see them harrassed.

I think there were many other ways to keep the runway area clear and it did not involve removing the nest.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:13 am 

I'm very glad that the photogs have a plan, (and that it's similar to the plan I, a non-photog, would have made!). Duane, you make the point that you hope we've paid attention to the subtle ID markers (whatever it was you said) for the eagles. I immediately thought, well, and if I need help ID-ing, I can always go check the photog websites...then my paranoid mind said: yes, and if you can think of that so can the USDA.

I had hoped for one or two non-identifying shots of an eagle against blue sky, say. Not even an eagle in a tree, because trees are pretty unique and I'm paranoid! Or the tree shopped out and, what, a dam substituted? A hay mow? Anything not that tree? Ok, that's too much work, but you see where I've gone with this in my own mind.

I think, as Duane say elsewhere, that Dad will settle and a nice lady (crossing fingers for DT) will come and give him what he wants. Let the USDA go chase geese for awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm 

I have been an avid NBG eagle watcher since the eagle cam came on. After reading the posts, I understand, but my heart is so heavy knowing that we will not be able to continue to witness the beauty and awe of these incredible creatures. Is there any way to know if Dad is still around and hopefully picked a mate for the upcoming season? I read that the powers that be would use paintballs? Are they crazy? Is there anything we can do to help Dad?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next