[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles • View topic - Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles

NESTI (Norfolk Eagle Support Team International)
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tuesday, June 12, 2012
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:15 am 
Site Admin

Temp: 70 degrees

Today:
Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain showers. High of 82F. Winds from the SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 0.3 in. possible.
Tonight:
Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain showers, then a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain after midnight. Low of 70F. Winds from the SSW at 5 to 15 mph shifting to the WSW after midnight. Chance of rain 70% with rainfall amounts near 0.4 in. possible.
Civil Twilight: 5:14 AM EDT 8:55 PM EDT

05:10 Dark, empty nest. Cam left in a little different position than usual..more off to the right side. Did I miss some more activity last night while I was gone to Bible study?
05:45 DT arrives at the nest coming in from the front and immediately moves some pine grass. Big gap in her tail feathers as she continue to go through the molting process. Quick white flash of dad's tail as he speeds from the distant left toward far back area way behind the nest. DT looks up then back to work

VIDEO CLIP OF DT, QUICK DAD FLASH & NESTORATION ..... JUST CLICK

05:46 Kind of hard to see but if you look closely (I use a large magnifying glass all the time) you can see of her wing or body feathers hanging, just about ready to fall from her body.
05:47 After doing a little house cleaning, DT looks around trying to find dad but no luck so she goes back to cleaning. You know what they say...A clean house is a happy house" :lol:
05:49 Reese zooms in closer. DT with a white down feather stuck to her upper beak. She lays down facing around 4 oclock. Thanks Reese for giving us these amazing closeups
05:53 DT rises and moves some of the pine needles. Her loose feather falls off as she moves, falling from her left side to the right side of the nest

VIDEO CLIP OF DT'S FEATHER FALLING ..... JUST CLICK

05:54 Capture of DT's feather, right after falling from her body, as it lays in the nest
05:54:40 Reese pulls the cam back. DT standing, looking out the back, probably waiting for dad
05:55 Reese zooms in closer of DT's discarded feather. This is the first time I've seen an eagle's feather actually falling from it's body....pretty cool. Reese pulls the cam back a few seconds later
05:56 DT preens then back to watching for dad
05:57 DT turns and moves a bit closer to the front. She continues looking for dad then as she picks at the nest again she grabs her feather, drops it then picks it up again as she continues to do little nest fluffs

VIDEO CLIP OF DT WATCHING FOR DAD AND MOVING HER FEATHER ..... JUST CLICK

05:59 Dad arrives and immediately checks out the nest then pokes through the nest grass. DT watches him
06:00 Night cam turned off. Dad turns toward the left and continues nest fluff
06:01 DT moves toward the back of the nest. Reese pulls the cam back. DT hops out on the love branch
06:02 Dad walks to the back, DT watches him. Reese moves cam in closer and adjust the lighting
06:04 DT flies off toward the statuary vista....dad watches her fly
06:09 After standing on the nest and just looking around, dad walks across the nest to the left side then hops on the 9 oclock branch a few seconds later. Reese turns the cam toward the left in anticipation of dad flying off then poof...dad is gone
06:12 Reese pulls the cam back
06:37 Reese moves the cam back on the nest then zooms in closer on DT's feather giving us a great chance to see it close up. I'm posting several pictures as we zoom in on the feather showing the size in the nest

RESSES COMMENTS ABOUT THE FEATHER
Reese Lukei wrote:
06:38 Look at the upper tip of the feather at hor worn out it is - I will zoom closer
question: what part of the body or wing is it from?
06:41 Not a feather expert but either body or wing
question: Is the worn-out tip indicative of anything other than age?
06:42 Age, wear and tear
question: Reese, to give us some perspective of size, can you tell us how long this feather is?
06:44 Adults go through a complete molt slowly over a two or three year period. Looks to be about 9 inches
06:47 Female is completeing what is called a transitional molting from sub-adult into adult plumage.
question: how long will the replacement feather take to grow back
06:48 She will replace the dark head and tail feathers in the next month or so. The new feathers take about 3 to 4 weeks to grow in
question: Is Dad molting, too? He seems a little rough around the edges as well.
06:49 He will likely replace worn feathers during the summer months

09:40 Shutting down for now..dr's visit...yuck, then running around with hubby picking up tools and supplies he needs. Have a good day everyone. See you later
14:50 Finally home again, turned on the cam the no surprise, nest empty
17:58 Rain starting to fall
19:15 No sign of the eagles. Probably hiding out of the rain staying as dry as they can
19:31 Darn crow lands on the front branch for a few seconds then moves out of cam view. Wish it were one or both of our eagles instead. Oh well.
20:26 Night cam turned on, no eagles
20:55 Nest getting dark so I'm shutting down for the night. See you tomrrow

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:51 am 
Photographer

I saw that feather first thing when I turned on cam - wonder how long it will stay in the nest!!! Thanks, as always, DeeJay!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:41 am 

My only experience with molting is when my cockatiel molts, watching this video of DT actually lose that wing feather is something I will never forget and for her to turn around and pick it up- like 'hmmm does this belong to me' was good for a chuckle this morning. Thanks Deejay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:46 am 

Comment From Mike
The male spent the morning until @930 in Eagle Alley and the female spent her time in the 08 tree. Both left towards the rear of NBG