[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles • View topic - Chris' Videos

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles

NESTI (Norfolk Eagle Support Team International)
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chris' Videos
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

What a fantastic weekend! The staff at the Wildlife Center really went out of their way to show us their appreciation. If you couldn't make it, I hope my videos help you to live the moment with us.

Good news/bad news on the videos: Bad news -- I haven't had time to process 5 hours of tape. :( Good news -- I processed the Buddy parts first! (Sitting around my campfire Saturday night...) :D

This is Buddy in his pen. We all had a horrible time with the door to his pen. My camcorder was focusing on the chain link. I actually had to read my book and switch to manual focus... I think most of what I included in this link is in focus, although at one point I think I adjusted the focus and you can see that for a couple of seconds. The other issue was trying to get video without the chain link showing up. There was a little square of chicken wire low on the door and the photographers were having good luck taking stills through that "window" since the chicken wire virtually disappeared for them. So, I tried it and shot a lot of video in a very awkward position to try to shoot through the little window of chicken wire, only to process my video and find it still showed up. Oh well...
Buddy in his pen (9:00)

These two videos are of Buddy getting his beak dremmeled. If you are sensitive, don't watch this. There isn't any blood or anything. But Buddy did get upset when he got the anti-inflammitory/pain med orally. And there is a point when he's getting the gas when he gets excited. Dr Dave had told us in advance to expect that and that it's normal for an eagle to go through that phase just before going under. But the procedure went well and had a happy ending. So, no reason not to watch it! I did edit it: The gas took a while and there were times during the procedure that Dr Deb blocked what was happening, so I cut some parts out. I still ended up with two parts:
The first part he gets the shot, the gas, is intubated, gets ointment in his eyes to keep them from drying and the procedure starts:
Dremmel Part 1 (9:22)
The second part the procedure finishes and he wakes up:
Dremmel Part 2 (7:27)

These are Buddy's neighbors. Junior is a Golden Eagle on his left and Scarlet is a Red-tailed Hawk on his right. Junior didn't do much, but Scarlet was full of it! She wanted attention, but as soon as you paid her any attention, she would turn her back and walk away. When I mentioned to Randy something about Scarlett, he quoted that behavior before I even said anything. So, that's her M.O. Randy called her a Diva!
Buddy's Neighbors (2:52)

This is Ed Clark and Dr Dave McRuer discussing Buddy's future:
Buddy's Future (9:17)

We were also lucky enough to see an American Kestrel and a Red-tailed Hawk being released (the kestrel was really, really, REALLY ready to go!):
Kestrel Release (:59)
Red-tailed Hawk Release (6:08)

We went to the "Hawk Watch" and I got a little bit of a "Kettle" of Broad Shoulder Hawks. They look like a swarm of ants! There must have been 50 in this kettle, but if I'd zoomed out enough to capture them all, they would have been tiny specks. So, I've got two levels of zoom in this, the first I tried to zoom in some to try to get some detail. Then I zoomed out a little to try to give an idea of the number of hawks in this kettle.
Kettle of Broad Shoulder Hawks (1:12)

Later this week, I'll process the tape I shot at the release on Friday on the way up to the Wildlife Center. And I'll process the couple of hours of presentation at the Wildlife Center.

I edited this entry because I thought the ainti-inflammitory/pain med was a shot. It wasn't until I saw Ann's video that I was able to see that it was given orally.

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms. ~George Eliot

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. ~Anatole France

http://www.eaglesandnature.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Chris7 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Chris' Videos
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:18 pm 

Thank you so much Chris. I have only watched Buddy - which is great- but will eventually get thru all. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Memories of a great and wonderful weekend . :D

Dixie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:31 pm 

What a phenomenal job of editing!. I 'm still in awe you were able to tape as much as you did without your arm dropping off! Can't wait to see the rest. Thanks Chris... :D

For the animals shall not be measured by man ~ They are not our brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth ~ Henry Beston

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:55 am 

Wow Chris what a great job you did with the videoing of poink/buddy in his cage and shame he did not talk to you all more .. felt like I was there watching and standing with you all..

Listening to Ed and Dr Dave talking as well was very good as no one could have remembered all that he said on the way forward with our baby .. loads still to decide .. have not watched the other things yet... but will get round to it all soon enough

Thank you Chris for working so hard on these video's and no doubt reliving the time over again and spotting things missed the 1st time

Angels walk with us always

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:16 am 

Great videos, Chris!!! They aren't exactly like being there...SIGH!...but they come awfully close!!!!! ;) All of us who couldn't be there are so grateful to all of you with those cameras going on NESTI day!!! Loved all the baby talk to Buddy too!! :lol: Isn't our boy just too good looking????? 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Fantastic videos Chris. Watching them made me feel like I was there with the group. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:24 pm 

Chris -

WOW! I can't thank you enough for all the work and editing and presenting all the videos. What a special treat to be able to see Poink (Buddy) and the wonderful staff that take care of him. He's a beautiful bird - this was just wonderful!!!! Part Poink, part hearing the staff discuss his future, seeing his pen and neighbors - you captured it all! Good job!!!!

Thank you! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for all the great comments. I know this is a lot of video to watch, but I don't want you all to miss anything!

I think Ann is outpacing me getting video posted. Sorry if I've duplicated what she's put up. I don't have time to watch all of her videos and process mine... ;) I've still got 2:15 hours of tape to go through... Ugg. Here's three more bits:

This first one is Ed's opening remarks when we first gathered in the library. He gives us the background on how the Wildlife Center got started:
How the Wildlife Center of Virginia got started (7:47)

This one is Ed talking about the scope of work done at the Wildlife Center:
Scope of work done at the Wildlife Center (5:44)

This one is Ed talking about when Buddy first came to the Wildlife Center and how they quickly got to know all of Buddy's best friends!
Buddy, WCV and NESTI (10:00)

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms. ~George Eliot

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. ~Anatole France

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:47 pm 

Thanks - appreciate you and Ann doing this. A wonderful day to always remember. Repeats don't matter - could watch over and over anyway. The videos refresh things that we might have forgotten - and I want to remember it all.

Thanks for doing and sharing :D :D :D

Dixie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:42 pm 
Photographer

Chris, I agree that these videos have been great - especially for some of those things I forgot along the way!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:19 am 
Site Admin

After this post, you can stick me with a fork. Because I am done!

This is when Jim Deal presented the check to Ed for sales of The Garden of Eagles 2010 calendars. I didn't know that Jim was going to do this, so I missed the start...
The Garden of Eagles 2010 Calendar check presentation (1:44)

This is when Randy presented the plaque that will go on the isolution unit. The isolation unit was purchased with proceeds from the sale of NESTI t-shirts.
Isolation Unit plaque presentation (2:16)

This is Ed talking about including the Wildlife Center in estate planning:
Estate planning (5:09)

Dr Dave's presentation is broken down into 5 parts. He discussed Buddy's medical treatment since he's been at the Wildlife Center. If you are sensitive, some of this minght not be for you... Beaks do bleed.:
Dr Dave part 1 (9:58)
Dr Dave part 2 (9:56)
Dr Dave part 3 (10:02)
Dr Dave part 4 (10:01)
Dr Dave part 5 (10:00)

And some stills:
Buddy! I know this isn't the greatest pic of him, but I think he's so cute in this pic:

And some people:
Fly High, MVK, Travel (Travel does't look happy that someone is grabbing her chest...)
Duane and Pete, with Dana and her husband in background
Cricket, Ann, Fly High and Mrs Fly
Travel, Violet, mystery woman (who is that???) and Ann
Shelly and Henry with Dr Dave and Kelly and the other lady from WCV
Duane and Holly

And you know I like to save the best for last! Mmmm, Mmmm. For those of you that wondered what we got for lunch:

Edited once because I identified Violet in the picture above as Vickie. Sorry Violet, I got my "V" names mixed up!

Last edited by Chris7 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:12 am 

Quote:
After this post, you can stick me with a fork. Because I am done!
:lol: :lol: And we thank you for sticking with it!! My battery died so I didn't make it through Dr Dave's presentation.(my camera didn't) TYTYTY and KUDOS :!:

eta: I just finished watching and was impressed again with the effort of the WCV in the care of this one bird. We already knew how important he is to us but he has already impacted many more and will continue to as an educational animal. We're so fortunate to have a facility like WCV available to treat and educate....thank you Wildlife Center :D

For the animals shall not be measured by man ~ They are not our brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth ~ Henry Beston

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

annsva wrote:
eta: I just finished watching and was impressed again with the effort of the WCV in the care of this one bird. We already knew how important he is to us but he has already impacted many more and will continue to as an educational animal. We're so fortunate to have a facility like WCV available to treat and educate....thank you Wildlife Center :D

And on that note... I'm going to send a thank you note to the Wildlife Center and I encourge everyone else to do so. It's easy to send an email to thank them. But they really went out of their way for us and I feel like the least I can do is get a card, lick a stamp, and send them some words to try to convey how much I appreciate the work they do, the great care they have taken of Buddy and what a wonderful day they showed us. I hope others feel the same way and will do the same.

(I might just slip a little check in the envelope too... :mrgreen: ;) Cant' send a check in an email... :lol: :P )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:36 pm 

Chris
Let me add my voice to those who are really appreciative that you took the time and energy...(no small feat I know!!) to share your videos! These are a whole different perspective and will allow us to go back to that day again and again!!

Dana

Life's a Broken Winged Bird
That Can not Fly

http://www.danalusherphotos.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:56 pm 

Chris, love the videos. What a lot of work processing them. It is so great to just watch and remember the day and catch some things we might have missed. Could watch them over and over -- and because they are posted here, we can!!! By the way, I have a correction for you in people ID. In the picture where you ID Vickie, it is really me, Violet. Thanks for posting all these videos and photos!!!!