[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles • View topic - Camellia transmitter silent, Jan 31st 2015

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles

NESTI (Norfolk Eagle Support Team International)
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Just to record, Camellia, has gone silent. Below is opening portion of Reese's blog entry @

http://www.ccbbirds.org/news-room/blogs/eagletrak-blog/

Camellia – Final Transmitter Report
It appears that the satellite transmitter that Camellia is wearing has sent its final signal. A combination of factors has contributed to the failure of the solar battery to charge sufficiently to transmit a signal. (1) The solar battery has an average life of three years. The battery in Camellia’s transmitter was activated on May 5, 2010, the day he was fitted with the transmitter. The transmitter was active for more that 4 years and 8 months. (2) During the winter months the days are shorter and thus there is less sunlight to charge the solar battery. And (3) for the past three months there has been an unusual amount of cloudy weather (like today).

Reese's entry goes on to post highlights, benchmarks and images of Camellia's journey these last almost 5 years. Be sure to check it out. You won't want to miss the pics!

We can continue to hope local photographers will go out to spot him at his favorite haunts. In my opinion, Cam has been our most consistent 'urban eagle' throughout his maturation, altho we have no tracking data for 66% of NBG offspring.

Thanks to everyone that has followed his exploits through Reese's blog, contributed money or photographs, and positive energy.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:16 pm 

Check the seaturtle.org website....his transmitter is still sending out data thanks to Cary who checked on him and notified Reese about his location.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Yes indeed!
I didn't check sea turtle, but just saw Reese's response to DCR as of yesterday!
Apparently the transmitter did send a weak signal on the 13th, so indeed it may yet send more data when the sun eventually gets the charge high enough!!

Thanks Duane! PS, please give us updates on Dad when you can!
Yay Cary!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:01 pm 

MagInAlex wrote:
Thanks Duane! PS, please give us updates on Dad when you can!

I really want to say what I'm thinking but because I've learned a lot over the last few years I know it won't do any good so I'll just say I have no intentions of visiting his new territory. Too many stones are being thrown at the moment and there are a lot of ugly people in this eagle community that I want nothing to do with or keep updated on any happenings at his nest.. :roll:

I'm glad he found a safe place to nest. I'm glad he found a suitable mate despite it being his offspring. From all accounts they're incubating egg(s) now and I hope they are left alone by everyone currently involved with them or has had any involvement with them in the past....I think they along with the homeowners deserve some peace and quiet. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Duane, we (I) trust you implicitly.

Thanks for letting us know; sorry about my assumption.

Always good to hear from you. Thanks!