[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles • View topic - SatelliteTracking Project

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles

NESTI (Norfolk Eagle Support Team International)
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:15 am 

Email from Reese Lukei , CCB Researcher.

It took some time to get all the t's crossed and i's dotted but here are the details about the fund raising for the satellite time for the transmitter that is to be fitted on one of the NBG eaglets.

Note that the fund raising does not begin until after May 20, the date we plan to fit the transmitter on the eaglet.

Thanks for your support and help.

Reese

BALD EAGLE SATELLITE TRACKING PROJECT
NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDEN
NORFOLK, VIRGINIA

A Project of

The Center for Conservation Biology
College of William and Mary
P.O. Box 8795
Williamsburg, Virginia 23187-8795

May 2009

Project Contacts:

Bryan D. Watts, Ph.D.
Director
Phone (757) 221-2247
Fax (757) 221-1650
e-mail bdwatt@wm.edu

Libby Mojica
Research Biologist
Phone (757) 221-1680
Fax (757) 221 1650
e-mail Ekmojica@wm.edu

Reese F. Lukei, Jr.
Research Associate
Phone (757) 340-4599
e-mail Rlukei@aol.com

Project Purpose and Background

The Center for Conservation Biology (CCB) at the College of William and Mary is currently researching Bald Eagles throughout the Chesapeake Bay region. The research includes aerial nesting surveys, shoreline counts in eagle concentration areas, banding eagles, and migration studies using satellite transmitters. CCB currently has 60 transmitters on Bald Eagles in the upper Chesapeake Bay and have learned valuable information about eagle movements in the upper Bay.
A satellite transmitter is proposed for an eagle nestling at Norfolk Botanical Garden (NBG) in May 2009. The NBG eagle would be the first from the lower Chesapeake Bay and the Hampton Roads region, and would provide answers to the most frequently asked question, "Where do the eagles go after they leave their nest?"

Project Objectives

(1) To follow the movements of a juvenile Bald Eagle after fledging from its nest at the Norfolk Botanical Garden.
(2) Provide an educational tool for learning about bird migration and eagle ecology in the Chesapeake Bay.
(3) To learn about foraging and roosting behaviors of Bald Eagles in the Chesapeake Bay.

Scope of Service

CCB will provide personnel, equipment, and supplies to fit one NBG juvenile Bald Eagle with a 70g solar powered GPS-PTT satellite transmitter estimated to last three years. The transmitter is fitted on the eagle with a backpack style Teflon harness when the eagle is approximately 55 days old. The eagle will be returned to its nest and fledge naturally with its siblings.

Locations from the transmitter will be sent to CCB from the satellite every 3 days. The Data will be stored and archived through the Satellite Tracking and Analysis Tool (STAT), a free service provided to wildlife researchers by Seaturtle.org. A map of the eagle's movements will be updated daily by the STAT program and available for viewing on http://www.wildlifetracking.org, a website run by Seaturtle.org. In addition, the tracking map can be linked to NBG and CCB websites.

Project Schedule

Banding 3 NBG eagle chicks - April 20, 2009
Fit transmitter to 1 chick - May 20, 2009
Collection of satellite data - May 2009-May 2012

Project Costs

The total costs for the 3-year project are estimated to be $23,000 as follows
Salary and benefits for one research biologist for 1 hour/week to manage and archive satellite transmitter data and maps.
Satellite transmitter and supplies
Satellite service provided to CCB by satellite company Argos

Project Fund Raising

CCB will provide the personnel and equipment for the project.

Funding for the data collection portion of the 3-year project, estimated at $6,300 ($2,100 per year), needs to come from the general public. The wildlifetracking.org website will allow website visitors to adopt the NBG eagle at $25, $50, and $100 levels. The adoption includes an information packet and certain benefits depending on the level of support. Donors may elect to have their name listed on the wildlifetracking.org NBG eagle web page. All donations will be sent to CCB and used to pay for the satellite fees.

Fund raising on the wildlifetracking.org website will begin after the NBG eagle is fitted with the satellite transmitter which is scheduled for May 20, 2009. As soon thereafter as possible a separate page will be established for the NBG eagle on the wildlifetracking.org website.

To follow the movements of the NBG eagle and become an adopter, go to http://www.wildlifetracking.org, then click on Birds, then the NBG Bald Eagle will have a separate entry.

As an option, donations can be mailed to The Center for Conservation Biology, Attention: Carla Schneider, P.O. Box 8795, Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795.

The Center for Conservation Biology

The Center for Conservation Biology is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering innovative solutions to environmental problems that are both scientifically sound and practical within today's social context. Established in 1991, CCB has been a leader in conservation issues throughout the mid-Atlantic region, and has conducted more than 250 research projects including several dozen involving Bald Eagles. CCB has extensive experience handling eagles and fitting satellite transmitters on raptors.

For the animals shall not be measured by man ~ They are not our brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth ~ Henry Beston

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:56 pm 

WOW !!! THATS VERY EXCITING !!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:14 pm 

wooooo hooooo!!!
waaaaaaaaaaaaay cool!! 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:25 pm 

Great! I will try to do my part to help!

BTW...working on an assignment for school children, based on this cam...when do we expect fledging?
It's probably posted "somewhere, but I can't remember that I have seen a date prediction.

HELP! PLEASE! THANKS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:26 pm 

WOW! This is a surprise!! Very edge of the earth kind of exciting!
I wonder which of our babies they will choose...and how they will choose and if this tracking device will just fall off after (s)he has done his/her part to educate the world about the American Bald Eagle? Kinda mind boggling...

Big surprise....

Dana

Life's a Broken Winged Bird
That Can not Fly

http://www.danalusherphotos.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:05 pm 

Thanks for the info. Do you know what time the banding will be done Monday?
PF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:46 am 

Eaglets fledge usually at about 12 weeks old - the first eaglet will be 12 weeks old on June 13 by my calculations. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:04 pm 

Duane and BOP, thanks for the answer to my question. I get so involved with the day-by-day stuff that I can't remember the big picture stuff :!: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:35 pm 

Super exciting!!! I'll do my part. It will be great to see where they go. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:04 pm 

Just heard on wvec banding posponed til' wed. Rain!
PF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:31 am 

Hello!
Can you tell me the details of the way the satellite we be attached to the eaglet? Will it interfere with anything?

Thanks,

Murphy :?:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:35 am 

I have a question. I'm sure Reese and the others involved know best but this is troubling me.
Why intervene with this nest and the eagles/eaglets twice? Why not do the banding and the transmitter at the same time?
If we think about it, the last time humans intervened at this nest, the eaglet went away. I sure hope the parents react
to this favorably.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:54 am 

Thanks Duane. Your response is appreciated and I'll take that two cents. lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:04 pm 

I am so troubled to read about this.

I made a donation to NBG this year because I was so impressed by how the eagle cam enabled people around the world to respectfully observe this eagle family in its natural habitat.

Now I read these wild birds will be disturbed not once but twice, and suited up with gizmos and gadgets -- all because they had the dumb luck to build their nest/be born in this part of the garden. Had I known these birds were not just being observed but also handled, banded and “backpacked” I never would have given my financial support toward the camera. What I thought was an undisturbed area devoted to conserving eagle habitat turns out to be an area in which to trap the birds and subject them to invasive and potentially quite risky procedures. I’m very sorry to be a part of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:47 pm 

Afternoon Everyone...
I think they are more concerned about fear and the chicks trying to get away from an intruder and falling out of the nest then the aggressiveness of the precious little darlings. Right now they would be somewhat nonresponsive to intruders where as soon they will start to develop instinctive fear. Just my opinion not known as fact.

My understanding is that the cam and following this nest is a research project to further the understanding about eagles, their habits, health and their interactions with society as their population comes back from the brink of of disaster. If not for the research and all they are learning from our eagles we would not have the birdseye view that we do. The disturbance that the birds endure for all that they are learning is probably a small price to pay for the furthering of the survival of the species. I love our eagles and don't want them molested either but the info that they are learning from them is improving the chances of eagles overall.

Again... Just my opinion...

Life's a Broken Winged Bird
That Can not Fly

http://www.danalusherphotos.com