[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles • View topic - NESTI DAY DIARY

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles

NESTI (Norfolk Eagle Support Team International)
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NESTI DAY DIARY
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:10 am 

I had such a wonderful time NESTI Day and thought it would be nice to have a place where those that attended could sum up their thoughts, what the day meant to them, who they met, what they did, etc. So have at it folks - while the memories are fresh and while we still have that "NESTI glow". And --- if you were not able to attend - know that each and everyone of you were missed and take a moment to leave a comment or a few lines about our posts and what you enjoyed hearing about.

Marianne

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: NESTI DAY DIARY
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:02 am 

good thinking. Love the idea as those that could not go can relive it through your writings .. Second that one

Angels walk with us always

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:21 pm 

It was a very long day for me but a really great one. Being a bit on the shy side, I only kind of met most everyone but did do my best to meet most of the ground crew that supply us with all of those beautiful pictures. I sure want to thank Rose for getting NESTI Day started and also all of the staff at WCV. My tail bone got a bit sore during Ed Clark's two hour talk but my mind held onto every word. The highlite of the day of course was seeing Buddy and to be able to hear him do some of his own special jabber talk. The second was seeing a momma black bear and her two cubs cross the road in front of us shortly after leaving WCV. Only wish I had my camera ready for them. Love all the pictures posted so far from the day and am looking forward to pick out a few to purchase for my own collection.
(To those of you that were there: I apologize for not being more sociable during lunch. You see, I was starving as I had not eating yet; I am not much of a meat, cheese, etc. eater; and did not want you guys to see me pick the insides off my sandwich and give them to Kelli to eat. I really am not a snob. :oops: )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:53 pm 

WOW ! Where to start. :o
First was the release Firday afternoon- what a treat that the people from of state, Fancy- her sis , Violet, travel, Mr and Mrs Fly, were all able to make some last minite plans and get there on time. :D
Next, the whole day Sat was Nesti's and Buddy.
Ed was his usual fun self expainling how the WCV started
Dr Dave explained the procedures Buddy went thru from start to today.
Amanda ( right ?) made a slide show that even had Ed wiping his eyes.
Randy had door prizes to give out.
The plaque was presented for the isolation unit NESTI's made possible. :)
The GYNORMOUS check from calendar sales was presented. :)
Lunch was NOT ground rats or fish. !!!
Great selection of sandwiches- potatoe salad - chips -- and of course WCV trademark COOKIES !
Dr Dave invited anyone who wanted to watch the Dremal procedure Buddy was scheduled for.
UMMMM ------- like we were going to pass on a chance to see him up close and personal !!!!!!!! :lol:
SO after lunch and getting the tour and seeing Buddy in his cage------- he was brought into the operating room to the OOOO's and AAAHH"S of us, was given his anesthetic ( not without telling them " not that mask thing again !!" :(
The Dremal did not take long and Dr Dave made sure we could see the whole thing.
Then wake up --- "Hey I thought I was having a dream but those people are still here " :shock:
He was taken back to rest in his cage.
Then off to the Mt Alton lookout to release a cute Kestral who went off so fast and a Red Tail Hawk who did not.
The day went very fast and was so much fun.
We met everyone and talked a lot.
The staff went to great lengths to make the day special and it showed.
THANK YOU WCV see you next year. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:29 pm 

What an absolutely fabulous event NESTI WEEKEND was. It was such a thrill to meet so many sweet, enthusiastic and at times teary-eyed fans and supporters of our beautiful little boy, Buddy/Poink/Easter. Without a doubt the highlight was the opportunity to see and hear our eagle.

I want to thank all the people at the WCV for everything that they did to make us feel at home. The time, care and consideration they give to all the wild creatures, and we humans, is outstanding. The critter kitchen and the human kitchen had very yummy things to eat too.

Many thanks also go to the NESTI folk who:
planned this event
raised money for the WCV
took gorgeous photos that will help keep the memories alive for years
spent hours creating handcrafted treasures
gave me camera batteries
shared their love.

I hope to meet everybody, and more, in person again. Until then, we will stay close in the chat room and forum.

Renee /Cricket

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:55 pm 

What wonderful memories we will all have. Getting to listen to Ed talk about the Center, how it started and some of the great things it has accomplished. Learning how Buddy and NESTI have helped broaden their outreach to the public and just how one eagle could bring so many people from around the world together to benefit the center. Door prizes were given away, questions were answered, a plaque was revealed for the isolation unit, and a check was presented to the center from the sale of the 2010 calendar. What a privilege to have been even a tiny part of such an event. The slide presentations by Dr. Dave and Amanda brought tears to the cheeks of even the strongest men and women. There was a delicious lunch provided and a chance to tour the center and see where miracles happen and peace comes to those who have suffered too much. Then out the door to see some of the local residents. From Junior the Golden Eagle, Scarlet the hawk with an attitude, the beautiful owls who were probably wishing we would leave so they could get some more sleep, and of course the guy that was the reason for the whole event. He waited in his cage patiently as Buddy Groupies began to admire what a handsome fellow he had become. From the little wooly bully eaglet that was taken from the nest to this regal, absolutely beautiful eagle he has become, is a transformation that one could not even imagine. He is a confident bird with a personality that touches the heart. To see Buddy is to love Buddy. To hear Buddy's story is to know that Buddy has a purpose in this life. He is an inspiration to all of us to continue to do the good things that will help him, as well as other creatures like him. Buddy has changed my life and he will be in my heart forever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:38 am 

Well said, MVK...I'm sure that we all feel that way about Buddy and the WCV!! Isn't that just terrific about the calendar money!!!??? What a great project that was!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:36 am 

Hi all First off I will not be nearly as elegant in my diary musings as the others but it's still heart felt.

On Friday I got to go to my first release. Until you see one you can't imagine how big those eagles really are with their wings spread out ready to be free. Ed does a great job to try and inform us about the history of this particular eagle and the area where they are being released. The people that allow us to use their beautiful home and surrounding areas to release the eagles are truly appreciated. We won't even mention about Ed talking about a CULT can you imagine lol.

On to Saturday: And the reason for us all coming together. We got to the center and every one greeted new and old friends but we were all eagerly waiting for everything to start. The quicker we got things under way the quicker we could see Buddy/Poink. Let me add my thanks to Ed, Randy ,Dr Dave and all the staff for taking such good care of us. I could have listened to Ed talk for hours and hours but the more he talked the more I cried so I had such a headache, Is there a word for intentionally inflicting yourself with pain? lol Thanks Fancy for the tissues.

The WCV did an exceptional job and treated us like royalty. They really do appreciate all the things we do for them as they told us all day. If(hint hint) there is a second one I urge everyone to start making plans It was a wonderful weekend and one I won't forget.

Now for a little personal aside, Fancy so glad I got to meet you and Elsa. Knew you would be just as funny and charming in real life as you are in the chat. Violet and Cricket Susan, Bev and Dixie are new friends I met this time that I will remember with fondness. Can't say how I enjoyed meeting Mr and Mrs Fly. They both were wonderful and can't wait to see them again. Felt like they were my kids since they are my kids age. Nice to learn stories about where everyone lives and how we all came together and were like one.

Now I know why everyone loves "our" photographers. They are one happy bunch. Had breakfast Sundayand most were there and all they did was laugh. Especially appreciated Holly giving me a lesson about turkeys. Couldn't tell difference between "pete and shelly" No wonder pete didn't answer me when I called her "shelly".

Have to say how good it was to meet "Old" friends too Ann Rose MVK Jamie Dana Chris and of course my best friend birds.

Want to say one more thing we missed all our fellow chatters that couldn't be with us. Moon Heart Gentle Taz Mrsreb and Sandi you were mentioned as were others too numerous to mention Please excuse me for the ones I may have omitted.

Know I have rambled but I had a wonderful time and words can't do it justice.

Now we have a goal because our Poink/Buddy needs a new cage. So waiting to hear from all you clever people what we can do to make this happen

Thanks to one and all

travel/Charlene

Proud Membr of N.E.S.T.I.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:46 am 

G-Ma Carla wrote:
I apologize for not being more sociable during lunch. You see, I was starving as I had not eating yet; I am not much of a meat, cheese, etc. eater; and did not want you guys to see me pick the insides off my sandwich and give them to Kelli to eat. I really am not a snob. :oops: )

ahHA! RANDY HAD ME CONFUSED WITH YOU!
He came up to me quietly & said he had a special lunch just for me without meat, cheese, etc. I said, no I didn't require that, but thanked him anyway. Sorry I got offered your lunch, Carla!! :shock: :)

There are so many of us to keep straight, I am amazed they recall who we all are at all!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Things started Friday with the bald eagle release at Westover Plantation. I was so happy that I was able to see that. Then on Saturday, it was great seeing everyone: Those that I already knew and meeting those that I had previously only known from chat and the forum. The staff of the Wildlife Center were wonderful. They really outdid themselves for us and it was great seeing firsthand the great work that they do. And it was amazing, fantastic, wonderful being able to see Buddy. Just seeing him was the best! It was beyond my wildest expectation for the day to be able to see his beak dremmeled from 10 feet away. I never would have guessed that was in store for us. And then being able to see the Kestrel and Red-tail released back into the wild... Wow, can the day get any better?!?!?!

This was an amazing day. I hope that the pictures and videos bring it home for those that had to miss it. Ed said this was the first NESTI day, so I'm anticipating other opportunities and hopefully everyone will be able to go. It is worth it, no matter how far you have to travel! I will never forget this day!

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms. ~George Eliot

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. ~Anatole France

http://www.eaglesandnature.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:22 pm 

S,

I keep forgetting to tell you how WILDLY pleased Ron Perry was with his NESTI sweatshirt. He LOVES it ... can't believe it's in JMU colors, etc., etc, etc. And I think he was genuinely touched to be remembered in that way.

SO ... THANKS!

R

Thanks to all that signed the card that went with the sweatshirt to Ron. He is the WCV's volunteer webmaster and the one person that kept us updated on a regular basis when Buddy first went to the WCV.

thanks,
Sandi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:28 pm 

Oh My ! where to begin??? and as if I'd ever lose the 'NESTI glow'....ya gotta' be nutz! I'll die with that 'glow', believe me!

It all began when I checked into the chat on the 14th and there was everyone chatting about an eagle release on Friday...........whoa ! I was going to be able to actually witness an eagle release???? pinch me quick! OMG ! OMG ! OMG ! Elsa and I switched things around a little bit....that meant we couldn't just take our time on the 'way to' trip....cuz we HAD to be at Westover for 1pm.......and after doing Natural Bridge on Thursday afternoon, we spent the nite in Lynchburg, leaving for Westover Fri. am......good old Jimmy John (GPS) got us there in plenty of time...but without a pit stop b/4 crossing bridge over James River...which was up due to a sailing ship going thru'..............and no outside 'privy' available...(shoulda' gone into corn field...lol) managed to get thru' release with plenty of hugs and chatting with folks and putting tho'ts of very pressing needs to the back of our minds....we did manage to make it to a gas station on our way to Waynesboro...thankfully, I might add.
I was surprised that WCV was so small.....but not surprised about the amount of work they do.....and the fact that it all can be done right there is awesome! The people who work there are just awesome...........! There aren't enuf words in the dictionary or feelings in my heart to be able to commend them for what they do and how much they do for wildlife...it's overwhelming! - a truly fantastic legacy to pass on to all of the students who pass thru' the doors of WCV and also to the people who pass thru' the doors as well, which includes all of us who were able to take a part in NESTI Day. I commend you all for the interest, fund raising and love you all bear for wildlife, not only here at WCV, but wherever you live. I feel so blessed to be a charter member of NESTI, I truly do, and yep, the tears are flowing (as usual...like Heart says...my bladder is too close to my eyes lol).
Just think - this all began because of the plight of a dear little bobble-headed eaglet whom I continue to call Poink - because of him, I was able - along with my sister Elsa - to meet all the wonderful people at the eagle release on the 18th and at WCV on 9/19 ! and I GOT TO MEET POINK ! I got to meet our 'paparazzi' who do such wonderful work in their photos and who gladly share them with us on the forum. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW ! everyone is just fantastic - the people from chat that I was able to meet and hug, Ed and Randy and Dr. Dave and the rest of the crew....I'm so happy I made so many 'new' friends and now I have faces to put to the names in chat.....that's another big WOW....! I can't name all the names of everyone I met....( too much WOW, I guess!)...but I do thank each and every one of you for being who you are and for what you do. I also thank Randy for accidentally throwing the perfect sweatshirt in the right size (can you imagine?) my way and to Shelly for taking the perfect picture of Mom and Dad and donating it so I could win it.....and I sincerely thank Elsa (this is all her fault, you know!) who told me about the website and cam that she saw on the news a year ago in January ... way up here in Michigan's upper peninsula..where we have eagles too, but we aren't able to see them in the way the cam shows.
THANK YOU ALL from the bottom of my heart ! I have more to say.. but let this suffice....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EVERYONE.........we have made a wonderful start...let us continue...so we can be as blessed as the eagles that fly over our great country and the animals that roam our great land.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:47 pm 

OH FORGOT ! don't forget to continue to support WCV and the great work they do....or did I say that??? lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:05 pm 

Wow...I can't believe it has been almost two weeks and I am just getting around to adding a message. It was a wonderful day and great to meet everyone. The "behind the scenes" view of the center was really cool and thanks to Dr. Dave for answering all our millions of questions about Buddy and his condition. Of course the highlight of the day was meeting Buddy and seeing what a handsome boy he has become. I hope we can do it again next year.

I left early Sunday morning to drive back to Richmond and it was amazing driving through the mountains in the fog!

Patti